As you may have heard through the media, there has been a lot of talk about the Building Services Authority fining Electrical Contractors for installing solar hot water systems.
This media coverage is a direct result of ECA’s efforts to bring this matter to light and pressure the relevant parties to rectify the situation.
Under our public brand of ‘Master Electricians Australia’, CEO Malcolm Richards has featured across Queensland newspapers and radio as part of a media campaign to drive momentum in overturning this decision. This media coverage has included:
- Electricians upset by penalties for work they are qualified to do– Ayr Advocate 11/4/12
- Sparkies cry foul – Gladstone Observer 7/4/12
- Electricians shocked – Gladstone Observer 5/4/12
- Electricians up in arms over fines – Bundaberg News-Mail 5/4/12
- Bureaucracy gone mad – ABC Capricornia, ABC Southern Qld, ABC Western Qld, ABC North Qld, ABC Capricornia, ABC Sunshine & Cooloola Coasts, 4TO FM.
As mentioned in the previous E-Alert by CEO Malcolm Richards ECA is working had to resolve the issue. The ECA are soon to meet with the Minister Bruce Fleeg who is responsible for the Building Services Authority and from there they will advise members of the outcome.
Until this issue is resolved ECA members are advised to avoid any fines by ensuring current laws are not breached. We will keep you informed of further developments.